Sunday, August 2, 2009

It had to happen sometime...

Yep, the first vomiting of my trip. That's what I get from eating street food. More on that later.

So, teaching English on Friday went REALLY well. My friend Alina (she works for Friends of the Orphans in DC and was on the trip last year) serendipitously arrived on Thursday, so she decided to come with me to the school. Between the two of us, we were right on top of those kids and managed to have a good time. There were two kids in fourth grade who were pretty awful, but the rest of them tried really hard. I now have a list of about 4 girls who hate my guts because I don't let them get away with anything. They are so mouthy!

Yesterday, Alina and I went to the posa (swimming hole) and hung out with the kids. It was really warm, so they were all swimming (in all their clothes, which is so weird to me). The tios made tamales for snack, so we had this absolutely delicious hot corn mush! Several of the volunteers were leaving this weekend since their 13 months are off, so we all headed to Tegucigalpa (the capital city) around 4:00 for their despedida. It was sort of Intro to Honduran Transportation experience for me; Mom, you do not want to know about it. We ended up going out to dinner for comida tipica (hence the puking), then bowling (of all things!!), and finally out dancing. We came back after breakfast this morning. Between my hotel, transportation, food, and entertainment, I probably spent $30. So bizarre to me to feel so rich here!

Travel plans have changed yet again. I've been e-mailing with Donna, and she wants to stay in Mexico rather than go on to Guatemala. It didn't sound like such a good idea to go by myself to this particular NPH home, so I am staying here on the Ranch for another two weeks. I'll be here for the Olympic Games and then will head home on the 17th. Stay tuned in case things change, as they are so wont to do here!

No comments:

Post a Comment