Sunday, August 16, 2009

Olimpiadas

After school on Friday was a busy day of dancing. I was so busy I actually missed lunch and ended up eating tortillas and a Pepsi. (I am already planning my first American meal in the Houston airport to make up for it.) I ended up having to borrow a red dress from one of the volunteers and shorts to go under it from a visitor. Two of the boys who were in our routine didn't show up until around 3:30, and we were supposed to be down at the school by 4:30. We had a major cram session, and then got all dolled up. I can't even describe to you the scene at the school. Each team had a huge flag, matching costumes they'd made, and props. My team (Cuba) had Che shirts they'd spray-painted and were dressed up as guerrillas. The tios and Armin had made two military trucks out of wood. Other teams had Mayan ruins and a volcano that shot out fire. I was really happy with how our dance went (I have video that I'll put on Facebook when I get back!) and got lots of compliments. I am thrilled to tell you that we won SECOND PLACE!!! Feels like first! (Name that movie!)

Saturday was a big day starting with a celebration of the word in the iglesia at 7:30. I also got to be a part of the NPH Honduras family photo for the year. We then headed down to the school with our teams. My team spent the morning competing in relay races on the basketball courts. I was really glad to have Anna (one of the new volunteers) on my team so that we could commiserate in English about this bizarre experience that is Olimpiadas. My favorite race was the one where you had to run with a balloon across the court, sit on it and pop it, and run back. I was actually one of the faster girls - I do well in sprints; I just can't expend too much energy over a long period of time. We had spaghetti for lunch and then did the circuit of activities around the school. The obstacle course was pretty hard. I guess I wasn't crawling through the tires fast enough because the big boys ended up just pulling me through! The two activities I had decided not to do I ended up doing. The first was a tug-of-war in a mud pit. I figured I'd probably never have the opportunity again, so I jumped in. I reached a new level of dirty!! I also played Quien es el Rey? They put a bunch of mats on top of a stage and tied them down, and you had to wrestle a person off. I'm not a big girl, but I was the last woman standing on my team. I was then promptly booted off by two Honduran girls. I didn't stand a chance, but I put up a good fight. My brother would be proud! The funniest part was the trivia section. My team had the good luck to draw the question, "How many states are in the United States?" I answered "50" and was told I was wrong!!! I threw an absolute fit and had everybody behind me; they ended up giving us the points, but I'm pretty sure they still think there's only 48 states!

There was thunder, lightning, and a torrential downpour last night. There was supposed to be a dance at the school where they would announce the winners. I made it all the way to the volunteer house, but got completely soaked and decided to head home. I was really tired anyway, but I'm bummed I missed it. Today, I just have packing, handwashing my disgusting clothes from yesterday, and mass. I leave for the airport around 8:30 a.m. My flight leaves at 12:00, and I get into SeaTac around 8:00 p.m. Hoping to see my friends and family soon after...give me a call.

No comments:

Post a Comment